Title

O! Wanderers in the shadowed land
Despair not! For though dark they stand,
All woods there be must end at last,
And see the open sun go past:
The setting sun, the rising sun,
The day's end, or the day begun.
For east or west all woods must fail.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, July 15, 2011

Bees, Privileged Chickens, and Hunting for Ežiukas

So much time has passed since the last post that's it's fairly impossible to get caught up in complete chronological order. So due to that, I am just trying to get up to date in the major subject areas. The first one, is several trips to rural Central Vilnius to meet Vaida's family and see their family farm.  


Among the highlights of this region are the "babushka's mountains one drives over to get to their particular farm. Not actual mountains, these bumps in the terrain are among the hilliest sections of road I have ever been on, with the possible exception of state highway near the California/Nevada border. What is additionally fun, but slightly unnerving is Vaida's dads' preference to accelerate when approaching these blind hills and gaining a noticeable feeling of weightlessness and/or flight on the other side of the hill's crest. It is little wonder then, that the Policija like hiding behind bushes along these roads.  


In the past couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to meet most of Vaida's family, and I am pleased to say that only one of them bit me. Fortunately, it was just a misunderstanding and Pluto rarely even barks at me now. The countryside, is an extremely rural and rustic area, but beautiful all the same. It's a little frustrating that I can't communicate directly with her grandparents, they are wonderful people and are very generous.  One bit of local fauna that I have heard about for ages, but have never seen in the wild until this month is the adorable but elusive "ežiukas," or as we know them, hedgehogs.


My First Ežiukas!
Vaida's dad holding a walking pincushion...
Like an inverted, walking pincushion, the ežys (different word endings for all kinds of different applications, I am still trying to figure them all out) is a nocturnal mischief maker that likes eggs, snakes, and apparently, has a taste for milk. Fortunately, if you want to see ežiukas, all you have to do is wait until late enough in the evening and periodically check the bowl of milk left out for the chickens. Since he doesn't run very fast, but is covered in stiff spikes like a punk rocker with a gallon of hair gel, he simply sits still when you shine a light on him. Provided you don't push too hard, you can even pet him, or pick him up with a suitable set of gloves. When left alone, the hedgehog eventually starts to snuffle through the grass, huffing and snorting like a distant helicopter. Needless to say from the way I describe him, I think the two hedgehogs I have seen so far are adorable, and I REALLY want to bring one back with me to the states. However, I think I would have a hard time convincing customs that he's just a hairbrush, especially not with the pointy black nose and beady eyes. 


The most privileged chicken I have ever seen. 
Another interesting creature in rural Lithuania is the ever prevalent chicken. Upon first arriving in the countryside I actually saw a handful of chickens chase off a cat. However, an even more unusual ritual takes place every morning. One particular višta (or chicken) comes to the back door, is let in and given some curd. Only then will she settle down on a pillow in the mudroom to lay her egg. When she finishes, she begins squawking and struts into the kitchen again, this time for some breadcrumbs or the like. As it happened, the "superchicken" (as Vaida calls her) finished this routine right in the middle of my breakfast. Not wanting to waste the opportunity, I can now say I have eaten an egg still-warm from the hen. 


And on a much different note, I have had the opportunity to learn a few elements of the beekeeping trade, though not actually to the point of handling live bees. I have been fortunate not to be stung yet, but it seems that everyone else has been, maybe even Pluto. I can't be certain, but sometimes he hides under the car and refuses to come out. It is a fascinating process, and produces more honey in one place than I have seen in my life. At least there is no shortage of sweetener for the tea!


Vaida's grandfather and an old Zaporižetis, with a
Russian motorcycle of similar vintage to the left.
Added to these adventures with local fauna, I have helped bring in hay, learned to cut hay with a sickle, grilled šašlykai over coals to celebrate Lithuanian statehood day (July 6, the anniversary of the crowning of King Mindaugas), practiced parallel parking, nearly had a disastrous accident with an old one speed bike, a hill, and malfunctioning coaster brakes, and many more adventures. Buried in the garage, is her grandfather's old Russian Zaporižetis and a motorcycle that I have to admit I am very interested in, though I don't entirely trust russian engineering, esp. not that old.  I will try to update this again soon, but with only the highlights, and so much has happened it is hard to keep up with everything. Check again soon!


P.S. A fair number of personal developments, such as finding a job, have occurred since the last update here, but I prefer not to broadcast everything to the world wide web. Please feel free to message me if you want to know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment