Title

O! Wanderers in the shadowed land
Despair not! For though dark they stand,
All woods there be must end at last,
And see the open sun go past:
The setting sun, the rising sun,
The day's end, or the day begun.
For east or west all woods must fail.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, May 30, 2011

A Journey of a Thousand Miles...

The more poetic among us would say it begins with the first step, but they conveniently skip over the hassle of packing, checking your travel documents, making sure you have your tickets or necessary papers, worrying that you somehow forgot something in the preceding list, worrying about volcanoes, worrying about TSA, ad infinitum. However, barring any catastrophe, I will be departing the country on June 2, around 12:30 PM. In the meantime, unpacking the contents of my entire dorm room, repacking them into bags for Europe, and packing the rest up for when I move to Morgantown in August, I am somehow almost as busy as I was at Bucknell. As I have hinted at online and in personal communication, this is largely the way I intend to communicate with the world from here on in. I will be using this as a travel journal to keep you updated where I am, and what Vaida and I will be up to. Photos will be posted on davidmanthos.shutterfly.com, and that's just about that. I will being writing more in earnest once interesting things being happening, as I doubt you want to hear about me rejoicing over finding a section of PVC pipe that now completes my blowgun set for shooting around corners...well, you might find that interesting, but its not ALL fun and games.


p.s. A huge thank you to all of my friends and family, most of them at Welty Church of the Brethren in Smithsburg, MD, for the many generous graduation gifts and kind cards.


Posted from: Smithsburg, Maryland, USA

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Manthos, have a safe Journey of a Thousand Miles and the best of everything to you and Vaida. May your journeys be fulfilling.
    Jerry Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! It's been great getting to know you and I hope our paths cross again soon!

    -David

    ReplyDelete